Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Happy stories

When I wrote the "About Me" portion of this blog, I commented to one of the other photogs here that, given all the sad stuff I talked about in that writing, I wasn't sure why I didn't jump off the High-Level Bridge. It's an unfortunate fact of the news world that "Plane Lands Safely" simply isn't news. As a result, we spend our professional lives as witness to the worst events of other peoples lives.

The fact that I went through so many things without it getting to me bothered me for quite awhile. Then a psychology major friend of mine told me that the fact that it bothered me that things weren't getting to me was a good sign... that I simply had a place to put the emotion so I could do my job. I certainly hope she was right.

Having said that, I agree with what Justin said in is blog. Occasionally you get to do a happy story, and that helps to temper all the bad news you deal with. Such was the case last week when the kids at Toledo Children's Hospital and St. Vincent Mercy Medical Center got some special visitors. ...


STANDBY="Loading Windows Media Player components..." TYPE="application/x-oleobject">












WIDTH="192" HEIGHT="190" ShowControls="1" ShowStatusBar="0" ShowDisplay="0" autostart="0">


In addition to getting to see the smiles on all those kids' faces, being that we are an ABC-owned (and therefore Disney-owned) station, I got to "get my picture taken with the boss."

Some days, it's just nice to smile.

No comments: